Matt is a Member of the Firm, and practices in the Firm’s Litigation Section. He concentrates his practice primarily in the area of community association law, representing HOAs and condominium associations across North Carolina. Matt’s community association practice ranges from advising the Firm’s numerous community association clients regarding covenant enforcement, amendments, title issues, and assessment collection matters, among many other things. Matt has extensive experience representing the Firm’s community association clients in foreclosure actions in counties throughout North Carolina. Matt has handled numerous covenant enforcement actions at the Superior Court level. He is also experienced in handling cases at the appellate level in North Carolina. Matt has represented the Firm’s community association clients before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of North Carolina. Matt has also represented Community Associations Institute, North Carolina Chapter, as amicus curiae in actions before the North Carolina Court of Appeals regarding the enforceability of assessment collection.
Matt was elected and currently serves as Vice Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association, Real Property Section, and continues to serve (since 2019) as Chair of the Community Associations Committee for the Real Property Section.
Matt’s litigation practice also encompasses representing real estate developers and construction contractors in a variety of claims and disputes; and breach of fiduciary duty litigation in the area of Trusts and Estates.
Matt is a native of Eastern North Carolina, born and raised in Little Washington. Having been personally impacted by numerous hurricanes growing up in Little Washington, and engaging in his community afterwards, he saw first-hand the needs of people who might not otherwise have the access and means to hire an attorney of their choosing. Particularly in the wake of Hurricanes Matthew and Florence, Matt has dedicated time as a volunteer on a pro-bono basis to assist and guide residents of North Carolina effected by these storms through the aid of the NCBA-DLS and NC Legal Aid.
Matt is an effective advocate for clients involved in litigation, and an experienced counselor helping his clients avoid the cost, expense, and emotional toll taken by litigating disputes in the courtroom. While in law school, Matt was the Symposium Editor for the Campbell Law Review, and a Regional Champion in the 2007-08 National Appellate Advocacy Competition in Washington, D.C.
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States District Courts, Eastern, Middle, and Western Divisions of North Carolina
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern, Middle, and Western Divisions of North Carolina
- Council Member, North Carolina Bar Association Real Property Section (2019-Present)
- Chairman, Community Association Committee, North Carolina Bar Association Real Property Section (2019-Present)
- Member, North Carolina State Bar and Tenth Judicial District Bar
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Real Property and Construction Law Divisions
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2004
- J.D., Campbell University School of Law, Buies Creek, North Carolina, 2009